Sunday 1 May 2011

PORTFOLIO - references 1

Following on from my original idea for my mutant project, I was thinking of doing a series of photographic portraits of people whose hair is largely constructed from floral elements. For now, my main influence is Sandro Botticelli's painting Primavera, which I already referenced in a previous post for my mutant project.

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primavera_(painting))
Various interpretations of the figures have been set forth, but it is generally agreed that at least at one level the painting is, as characterized by Cunningham and Reich (2009), "an elaborate mythological allegory of the burgeoning fertility of the world."[1] Elena Capretti in Botticelli (2002) suggests that the typical interpretation is thus:
The reading of the picture is from right to left: Zephyrus, the biting wind of March, kidnaps and possesses the nymph Chloris, whom he later marries and transforms into a deity; she becomes the goddess of Spring, eternal bearer of life, and is scattering roses on the ground.[5]

I can imagine the portraits looking somewhat like this cropped closeup from the Primavera painting:


For now I am thinking of constructing the hair pieces out of wired components of flowers and asking friends to be my models.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home