Saturday 14 May 2011

PORTFOLIO - references 3

I still haven't been able to come up with a solid idea in the past few days. I tried to brainstorm just then. I think I've been approaching the Portfolio project in the wrong way. I've spent the past few weeks just trying to visualise an image in my head that would be my final photographs. But I think I should be thinking of one thing that interests me or inspires me then go from there, instead of trying to come up with the entire image all in one go.

So I wrote down what I'm interested in and what inspires me. I wrote: models, fashion, flowers, colour, fun.

Then I brainstomed and came up with: Shoe made out of marshmellows, Dress made out of lollies and model that would be shot at a small scale and with alien like models.

Then I thought of doing shots of models made out of candy and wearing candy clothing. I was thinking of taking photographs of hundreds and thousands and then wrapping them to the body, like in tattoo project. I was inspired by these images of people with hundreds and thousands on their lips:





Also, images of people with candy-inspired nail art:



Inspired by fashion as well, like this dress by Prada and shoes somebody covered with candy for a party:



This stick-on-the-wall art was also interesting in its colours and scale:


I was thinking of covering the model's skin with different types of candy such as hundreds and thousands sprinkles, though underneath you would still see some gaps of skin. I had a look at some different type of textures that could underlay the sprinkles such as runny icing or solid icing as well as baked cookies and icecream. These images also helped me to see what colours would go well together. I want the viewer to be intrigued by my images and think about how delicious it would be to be made out of candy or to be covered in candy.










I am greatly inspired by fashion - mainly fashion photography and seeing the way the body can be manipulated to create interesting shapes or silouhettes, and the drapery of fabric, the texture and way it falls inspires me. These are some images that I really like:









I thought about what I would do with the model's hair. I imagined something with really dramatic big hair and I thought of Medusa who had snakes for hair:







I like this picture because the figure is swamped by a mass of hair:


This is a really bad drawing of a really simple, basic idea for what I imagine one of my works to look like:

I want the facial features to still come through on the model's face because I want it to look human except made out of candy.

One of the main elements of this series of photos will be cotton candy. It seems very versatile and has a wonderful colour combination (blue and pink). I was thinking of "combing" it like hair and then braiding it. Or creating a flowing gown out of it. Or using it for the background to create a dreamscape.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home